The investigation into the incident where a number of pedestrians were struck in the Melbourne CBD yesterday continues.
Yesterday at 4.41pm a white 4WD struck a number of pedestrians at the intersection of Flinders and Elizabeth Street.
20 people presented to a hospital yesterday, of those 18 were admitted.
Currently, four people have been discharged, 14 people remain in hospital, three of which are critical.
Nine of the victims are overseas nationals including South Korea, China, Italy, Indian, Venezuela, Ireland and New Zealand.
– An 83-year-old male from Northcote in a critical condition
– 67-year-old male South Korean national in a critical condition
– 61-year-old male South Korean national in a critical condition
– 40-year-old male Venezuelan national from Elwood is serious but stable
– A 47-year-old female from Richmond is stable
– 45-year-old male Indian national is stable
– A 36-year-old female from Mentone is stable
– A 35-year-old female from Mernda is stable
– 30-year old female from Craigieburn is stable
– 25-year-old female Irish national living in Caulfield is stable
– 24-year-old male Chinese national is stable
– 4-year-old male South Korean national living in Hoppers Crossing is stable
– A 33-year-old female from Seaford has been discharged
– 17-year-old male Brunswick East has been discharged
– 43-year-old male New Zealand national living in Heathmont has been discharged
– 25-year-old male Italian national has been discharged
– A 58-year-old female from Coburg attended hospital but was not admitted
– 25-year old female from Reservoir attended hospital but was not admitted
The 32-year-old Heidelberg West man alleged to be the driver has been released from the hospital and is currently in police custody.
Crime Department detectives will interview him once he has been medically cleared.
The off-duty police member who arrested the driver remains in a hospital has undergone surgery and is stable.
The 24-year old man arrested on Flinders Street, who was not involved or connected with the initial incident, has been interviewed and released.
He is expected to be charged with summons with possess cannabis and possess a controlled weapon.
These offences are not linked to the initial incident.
Victoria Police believe this an isolated incident and the community can be assured that we are doing everything we can to keep the community safe.
The community can expect to see an increased police presence at a number of events today and at major events in coming weeks.
We understand this incident has been very traumatising for witnesses, victims and families involved.
Anyone who witnessed the incident is urged to visit their local police station or contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au
If members of the public have video footage or images which may assist police with their investigation, they are encouraged to upload them here: http://australiauploadserviceweb.cloudapp.net
Attribution for print above only Victoria Police Online News Centre website resides with the State of Victoria.
Social Media is going off!! I don’t know why it wasn’t a terrorist attack obviously something to do with the UN Censorship laws or Political Correctness, The issue is ISIS called on their Brothers worldwide to commit these Ram Raids on Pedestrian. It looks to me that’s exactly what he has done.
The driver, 32-year-old Saeed Noori, was known to police for a 2010 minor assault matter, and has a history of drug use and mental health issues. In June 2017, he was convicted and fined $1000 for driving without a license, using a mobile phone while driving and failing to answer bail. Noori was apparently still unlicensed at the time of the December incident and was driving a vehicle that belonged to a relative.
After the incident, Noori was wrestled to the ground, handcuffed, and arrested by an off-duty police officer.
Noori is an Australian citizen of Afghan descent who settled in Australia as a refugee. In an informal interview, he made utterances in which he “attributed some of his activities … to the mistreatment of Muslims”. Wikipedia